Oilers Earn Walk-Off Win in NCAA Tournament Debut

Oilers Earn Walk-Off Win in NCAA Tournament Debut

Box Score

Findlay, Ohio – On Thursday, Nov. 21, for the first time in program history, the University of Findlay women's soccer team competed in an NCAA postseason contest. The Oilers, seeded third in the Midwest Region, took on the Rockhurst University Hawks out of the Great Lakes Valley Conference (GLVC). In front of a crowd of more than 500, Findlay advanced in a shootout after the game ended in a 1-1 tie. Up 3-0 in the shootout, senior goalkeeper Anna Money made a diving save to seal the victory and the crowd stormed DeHaven Field in celebration.

The sixth-seeded Hawks came out with aggression and possessed the ball for much of the first half. With that aggression came the first score of the game, a goal by Rockhurst's Jillian Leetch in the 24th minute of play. That 1-0 lead continued into halftime.

When the second half of play began, the tables had turned and Findlay was the aggressor. Just three and a half minutes into the second frame, Findlay's Addie Graham found the back of the net on an assist from Sam Francis, sending the DeHaven crowd into a frenzy and pulling the score even at 1-1.

Both teams battled for the remainder of the second half, but neither could score which sent the game into overtime.

The intensity was turned up a notch as the first overtime began as a goal by either team would end the contest. Findlay outshot Rockhurst 3-2 in the first overtime period, but again, neither team could score. That scoreless streak continued through the next ten minutes of play, sending the game with a shootout.

The crowd moved towards the west end of the field where the shots would take place. Each team would get five attempts to advance in the tournament.

Findlay's leading goal-scorer Sierra Peacock took the first attempt. Goal.

Rockhurst's first shot bounced off the left post. Miss.

Annina Sommer then nailed her attempt to put Findlay ahead 2-0.

The Oilers then turned to their senior goalkeeper, Anna Money. Money made a diving save to keep the Findlay lead at two. After another good attempt by Paige Casto, Money dove to her left, knocked the ball away, ending the game. A mob ran onto the field embracing their Oilers who had just made history.

Rockhurst outshot the Oilers 19-15 in the contest and both teams had five saves.

Findlay advances to face the University of Indianapolis on Saturday, Nov. 23 at 1:00 pm. That game will again be played at Findlay's DeHaven Field.

UF students will again have their tickets paid for by the University with a valid student ID.